Artichockes always seem like a fancy food to me – something you only ate in a restaurant. And while I love them, I rarely tackle them at home because I’m not a fancy cook in any sense of the term. Until I found this recipe. Easy, filling and crazy tasty – this recipe makes artichokes seem like “regular”, normal food in my house. And that’s a win in my book! And let’s be honest. Adding avocado to anything is always a bonus! Give this one a try and let me know what you think!
- 4-5 small artichokes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small avocados or 1 1/2 large avocados
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- Sun dried tomatoes (to garnish)
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
– Slice artichokes in half length wise and drizzle the open end with olive oil.
– Place the open end down on a foil lined baking sheet then place another piece of foil on top of them and press it down.
– Roast for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender.
– Once they are done scoop out the “choke” which is that fuzzy part in the middle, and discard.
– In a food processor combine avocados, walnuts, garlic, basil, lemon juice & salt.
– Blend on high until walnuts have broken down and pesto is creamy and thick.
– Scoop the pesto into the bowl area of the artichoke where the choke was removed.
– Top with some sun dried tomatoes and enjoy!
Thanks to Little Bits Of (again!) for another awesome recipe!