Perfect as a main dish or a side, this crunch and flavorful salad is simple yet full of protein that will keep you full – and it’s perfect to serve when that vegan friend comes over! Golden raisins and chopped dates addsome sweetness and a combo of carrots, pistachios and chickpeas bring a delightful crunch to the mix. A light honey lemon dressing with a little hint of heat seals the deal! This salad will make great leftovers too – so feel free to make a double batch and pack away for a week of meals!
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa (or ½ cup uncooked)
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup chopped dates
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (maple syrup or brown sugar for vegans)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- POWER SALAD: Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Allow the quinoa to cool completely before tossing with the salad ingredients. Toss ingredients together.
- HONEY-LEMON DRESSING: Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small mason jar and give it a few good shakes until the dressing mixes through. Drizzle the dressing into the salad and toss the salad to combine everything. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for later!
- Sometimes when you buy parsley, the bunch is HUGE. If that is the case for you, just use ¾ bunch. It’s really up to you how much parsley/herbs you want to use. Also, some of the parsley can be replaced with mint or cilantro if you’d like.
- When preparing the quinoa, add a teaspoon of oil and sauté the quinoa for about 1 minute before adding the water and cooking. This gives the quinoa a really great nutty/toasted flavor which goes really well with the flavors of this salad!
Thanks, Little Spice Jar, for this delicious recipe!