Next week is America’s birthday and what’s more fun that eating with a theme? We’ve got you covered with some fun red, white and blue foods that will also keep you fueled so you can stay up late to watch the fireworks and enjoy the fun with family and friends! Sadly there aren’t many blue foods – so you’ll see plenty of blueberries in the recipes below but they’re a great food to nourish your brain, skin, heart and more.
Red White and Blue Quinoa Fruit Salad (Vegan)
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries
- 9 ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, julienned
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tablespoons honey (use maple syrup or agave to make vegan)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Fluff and place in a large serving bowl, then let cool slightly. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the dressing ingredients: honey, lime juice, and salt.
- Trim and quarter the strawberries, then add them to the bowl along with the blueberries almonds and mint. Pour the dressing over the top, then toss gently to combine. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Thanks to Well Plated for this great recipe!
Strawberry Blueberry Overnight Oats
- ½ Cup Oats
- 1 TBS Chia Seeds
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5-10 drops Vanilla Stevia, to your liking
- ¾ Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- ¼ Cup Blueberries
- ¼ Cup Strawberries, sliced
- Mix oats and chia seeds together in a mason jar.
- Next, add vanilla extract, vanilla stevia, and almond milk to mixture and stir well.
- Next, add in blueberries and sliced strawberries, mix well so that all ingredients are covered well with almond milk.
- Close mason jar with lid and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Wake up and enjoy!
Thanks, A Fit Philosophy, for this great breakfast recipe!
Watermelon Feta Salad
- ½ seedless watermelon, cubed (about 8-10 cups)
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup crumbled feta (I used reduced fat)
- 2+ tablespoons mint leaves, chopped (If you love mint, use more)
For the dressing:
- 2 limes, juiced
- Combine the fruit, mint and cheese in a bowl.
- Toss in the lime juice or use the dressing found in the notes.
- Serve immediately.
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Thanks to Running In A Skirt for this fresh summer recipe!